Monday, December 15, 2008

Where I'm From

Here's another poem that was created in my writing class. It's based on a poem of the same name. This is a teaching technique when you have kids copy the style of a poem but sub their own words.

Where I'm From

I am from acorns
and apple butter on a crisp fall day
I'm from the cub cadet tractor
parked under grandpa's carport
from Vine Avenue
and metal swimming pools
that glistened in the sun

I'm from 3 Eds and a Vicki
and grandma's dumplings
I'm from 5 hour car rides to Cloud Nine Ranch
with Pinkie the bear
and a station wagon with no air
I'm from Atari, VCR's and MTV
from the 82 World Series
and the Challenger Explosion
from the smell of money
on trips to AB
to see where dad worked hard

I'm from softball and hockey
and basketball and more
from sprained ankles, broken fingers
and trips to the sporting goods store
I'm from "You can do better."
to "Have another plate."
From "take care of your brother"
to "I Do" in the blink of eye
I'm from little girl to woman
how time flies.

No comments: