Thursday, May 01, 2008

Peace

There are a lot of things to blog about concerning this title. The main one being an incident that happened at work, which I will get too in a minute. First off, basement update.

The carpet was back ordered and should, SHOULD, be in on Friday to install Friday afternoon. The outside stuff is done the painting is just about complete inside. All that needs to be finished is the carpeting, the baseboards and the trim. All should take place on Friday. Then we should be able to move everything down there this weekend. YEAH!!!!!! Bob is off, it will be a cool weekend, not too hot, perfect for moving stuff into the basement.

Second, Boomers update.

Hannah's team played last Sunday and she pitched almost the entire game except for part of the 3rd inning in which the other pitcher allowed 8 runs. Hannah's team lost 18 to 6 but she did do a really good job of pitching.

Now, school incident. (this may take a while to explain)

Here goes, yesterday, our school counselor arranged for this exhibit called the Peace Museum to come to our school and do these hands on little centers with our 2-5 graders all about peace. There were 10 stations. I was asked (or rather told) that I would be running one of the stations for most of the day. Breakfast and lunch would be provided to those that ran a station. So I show up early at 7:30 to the "training" for my station, I get myself organized and ready and the first group of kids comes through the exhibit taking about 90 minutes. Just as the second group is coming through, I get paged over the intercom to come to the office. So I run down to the office to see what's up. Our literacy coach, Mary, is sitting in the secretaries seat and she goes, the principal, the PE teacher, the secretary, the other resource teacher, and 3 other classroom teachers are all absent today. No subs have shown up, there were two fights one in 6th grade and one in 4th grade involving 6 students plus 3 other kids got kicked out of ISS (inshcool suspension) and I need someone to help me call parents and run the school.

So I am like YIKES!! Sure I'll help, what can I do? She goes start calling parents to come pick up these kids who are ALL now suspended. So of course I start doing what she asked. Meanwhile I send a note upstairs to the counselor explaining the situation and telling her I will be back ASAP. After about an hour, most of the kids in the office have been picked up and things have calmed down. Mary tells me that there are only 3 of us ( including me) to do lunch and recess duty instead of the usual 5. So of course I tell her I will help. So by this time it is just about lunch time for the volunteers upstairs. SO I run up to tell the counselor that I have to do lunch duty but I can return to my station after that when the afternoon sessions start up. She is in the staff room getting the pizza and salad set up and I come and in and again apologize and ask if there is anything I can do to help. She very forcefully tells me " No we don't need you." So I am like well I'll be back after lunch and she goes " I said we don't need you!"

Back I go downstairs to the office and I tell Mary that I think I just got stiffed out of lunch. She's like, no way, she will still let you eat, what's the big deal, I asked you to help me out. So I stay in the office answering the phones while Mary goes to the first lunch duty. Meanwhile another friend comes down to bring me a soda and another comes down to see if she can bring me lunch. So I'm like, I don't think the counselor will let me eat, she's mad. So my friend, Karen, is like that's ridiculous, you were doing what you were told, I'll go bring you some food. Karen comes back empty handed and says the counselor told me you couldn't eat because you made a choice to leave your station and come down here and they didn't really need you. So now you don't get to eat. Karen said she explained that I was doing what I was told and that I would be back later. But the counselor tells Karen to go downstairs and ask if I was going to be back later or not. At this point I told Karen, don't bother going back up there, I wouldn't eat now if she paid me too.

Karen was upset, I was upset and for the next 20 minutes several of the other teachers came in to hear the story and express their outrage. I never did go back up there but instead did my lunch and recess duty and helped out in the office. I didn't see the counselor for the rest of the day and I have decided that it is not worth my time or effort to say anything to her. But I know that what goes around comes around!

The ironic thing about the whole deal was that we were helping out at the Peace Museum, their motto being Peace for Me, Peace for You, Peace for Everyone, Peace for the Planet. I guess the counselor missed that message!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's been said by people MUCH wiser than I that a LOT of people get into the 'mental health' fields (Psychiatry, Psychology, COUNSELING) to get their OWN, PERSONAL 'baggage' taken care of!!!!!
liggy (someone who knows most of the parties mentioned)

Anonymous said...

oh the drama! can't say i miss it one bit!