Saturday, August 02, 2008

My new classroom

I finally got to meet my new principal and some of the faculty of my new school and see my new classroom last week. The people are all very nice and I think I will fit right in. My only problem is my classroom. For all my complaining about St. Louis Public Schools, I did have a big, bright classroom. Well my one at Buerkle is small, windowless, and barren. I was really bummed, because although it is middle school I want it to be fun, bright and inviting for my students. So needless to say I have A LOT of work ahead of me. All that was in the room were student desk, a teacher desk 2 file cabinets, and a large locking cabinet with shelves. No teacher chair, extra table or book cases to be found and no, I repeat NO windows to the outside. The only window is a small one in the doorway. It can only be described as 70's architecture, need I say more?

I talked with the head custodian, a very nice woman named Polly, about at least getting a chairt to sit in and maybe a book case since I am teaching literature it would be nice for the books I have for students to be displayed. She told me she would scrounge up a chair and book case or two but couldn't guarantee the quality. I then asked one of the other teachers if we got a budget to spend in the beginning of the year on supplies and I was informed that no we did not get a budget. Supplies are ordered by department chairs and were placed last spring. BUM-MER! At my old school my principal would give us each a $500 budget that we could spend on supplies that would be ordered from catalogs. Unfortuntaly all of that stuff that I ordered the last few years then becomes property of St. Louis Public Schools, so I couldn't really take my good books shelf, steel stool, and moveable dry erase board with me.

Did I mention that my new classroom had a chalk board, UGH!

So if any of you teacher people out there have any cast offs you can throw my way, let me know! I will take any and all donations.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all your comments on our site--I'll be checking your blog periodically now, too.

I would highly suggest checking Craigslist.org for your book shelves. We actually bought most of our nursery furniture from different sellers in our area and are really pleased with our findings (and the prices). You can find some high quality items for cheap and sometimes even free.