Monday, September 29, 2008

Bohemian Rhapsody, Morgan Freeman and Hershey's Kisses

So I had this bright idea that I would have my students write a compare/contrast essay about Hershey's Kisses and Skittles. I wanted to do it in stages to kind of draw it out and get more lessons out of it. I started day one with a quote from the movie Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

"I can't do without it [gum]. I munch it all day long except for a few minutes at mealtimes when I take it out and stick it behind my ear for safekeeping. To tell you the truth, I simply wouldn't feel comfortable if I didn't have that little wedge of gum to chew on every moment of the day, I really wouldn't." ~Violet Beauregarde

Then I asked the kids to write about what they can't do without. I got some pretty cool responses but the two I liked best were Bohemian Rhapsody and Morgan Freeman. The kid who said he couldn't do without Bohemian Rhapsody said that it was his favorite song and he listened to it and sang it every day and he couldn't imagine not being able to hear it. The one who said Morgan Freeman wrote about all the great movie roles Morgan Freeman has played, specifically his role in the Dark Knight.

Sure they wrote these responses to be funny but in reality the points they made were actually pretty thought out, so I guess my little assignment did have some impact. We barley even had time to talk about Hershey's Kisses so we will be continuing that tomorrow.

No comments: