Thursday, June 05, 2008

Goodbye Monroe


It is with much sadness and apprehension that I leave St. Louis Public Schools and Monroe Elementary today. I am taking an 8th grade language arts position in the Mehlville school district and leaving the only place I have ever taught.

I have really enjoyed working with the staff and principal for the last three years. I have made some lasting friendships and know that it will be difficult to find another group of people so dedicated to one common cause. But with this district being in such turmoil and change, I felt it was time to make a move.

I remember back three years ago the day I walked into Monroe for my interview. As I walked up the stairs, I felt that this was the place I was suppossed to be. After my long search for a teaching position, I was finally led to the school that really needed me. I have certainly enjoyed working with these kids, however hard it has been, I have always been greatful to have been a part of their lives. I know I have learned more from them then they ever learned from me.

Last week all the 8th graders that I had for 2 years in my 6th and 7th grade class graduated and are moving on to high school so I guess it is fitting that I move on with them.

Today is the end of the school year! Hello SUMMER!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's always hard to say goodbye, but usually it's for the best. You make friends so easily, I know you will be fine. You're lucky to have the good friends that you have made at Monroe.

Anonymous said...

congrats on finishing out the school year and finding a new job. even if life hadn't handed us a kid and a move after a year there, i don't think i would have made it 3 years! (was this the year dr. arbini retires?)

Alison said...

Dr. Arbini toyed with the idea of retiring but he is sticking out one more year. He had a tough one though with a new education officer who seemed to be out to get him.