Thursday, November 22, 2007

Puppies, Poison Ivy, the Flu and Thanksgiving

You name it and it has happened this Thanksgiving. First off Hannah contracted Poison Ivy last week, by Tuesday evening it had somewhat faded and our plans for a Thanksgiving at home were going ahead as scheduled. That evening my father got a new puppy, a black pug. Then came Wednesday, the kids were all off school but I had to work and so did Bob. Generally this is not a good combination but they are getting old enough to stay home alone now so off we both went to work. By 11am I got a call from Justin saying Hannah was sick. So I went home thinking I would stop in and check on her and then go back to work as we didn't have kids that day at work just a series of "teacher meetings". When I arrived, Hannah was sitting on the toilet with a towel wrapped around her and stuff coming out of both ends. To make matters worse, everywhere that she has her poison ivy, which was mostly on her face, was a ghastly shade or purple. I mean it was horrible!!!! SO after getting the boys situated at my parents' house, I called the DR. to tell of Hannah's condition. She had already been there on Monday and they diagnosed the Poison Ivy but the color was now a big concern. As the afternoon wore on, I decided to take her in. When we arrived at the Dr's office and got taken to the room the Dr comes in and goes " I've never seen anything like it before." Not the best news from your child's dr. But after examining her and seeing her throw up a few more times, he sent her home with nothing more than a "keep an eye on it and take her to the er if it gets worse."

Well at this point I thought, "There goes Thanksgiving." But after her stomach settled down, she felt much better and by morning she was able to eat something and keep it down, her face was starting to fade to a maroon and she wanted to "help" me cook Thanksgiving dinner.

So it is now 9 pm, dinner is over and everything turned out great. My stuffing was delicious, my turkey so moist. And best of all my in laws were able to make it over for dinner and bring Grandma's homemade pumpkin and cherry pies. We ate, played Apples to Apples and had dessert. Now the kids are watching the Incredibles as I type and Hannah's face is now a more rose color.

Now I'm just praying we all don't get the flu!!

No comments: