Monday, November 19, 2007

My own Thanksgiving

This year, I am breaking with tradition and preparing my own Thanksgiving. At first I was a little sad that I wouldn't be seeing any of my relatives for the holiday but after thinking about it, it will actually be so much easier for my family. First off I don't have to worry about what my kids wear or how they look. I don't have to worry if I am not helping out enough or if I am just in the way. I don't have to worry about the kids spilling anything. I don't have to make 3 plates up before I eat my own meal.

I am cooking a turkey, which I have done before and making homemade stuffing for the first time. I will have green bean casserole complete with the fried onions on top, carrots (just for color because I am the only on who will eat them), corn, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce (a Nixon kid favorite), and a small dish a sweet potatoes that I bought at Dierbergs (again because I am the only one who will eat them). Plus rolls and a little relish tray because Justin considers pickles a vegetable. For dessert, we will probably go to my in-laws and take them some food and have dessert there because my mother-in-law has been too sick to leave the house. I will buy a pumpkin pie or 2 from Tippins (Bob's favorite). I am not a baker so it is store bought pies for us. But I will also probably make some Brownies just cause I don't like pumpkin pie.

We have decided (I mean I have decided) to try to eat around 3 or so to give us time to visit Grandma and Grandpa Nixon. In the morning I will get the turkey going, then watch the Macy's parade, then do some cleaning so the house looks nice for the long weekend I am off. Maybe take a snooze on the couch while Justin watches football, then finish up the meal, eat, visit, and back home for game night with the kids. Then a weekend where we are all off together. Thinking about going up to Our Lady of the Snows Christmas light festival on Friday evening and I am actually thinking about doing some shopping on Friday even though I always think people who do that are crazy. But Bob said he would go and drop me off at the door of different places and either wait or join me inside.

Who knows if this goes well we may stay home for Christmas too!

Anyone know any good stuffing recipes?

Happy Thanksgiving!

3 comments:

akk said...

That's sounds like a perfect Thanksgiving! I'm with Justin on the pickles. Those of us who don't care for veggies too much have to find a way to include things we like in the vegetable category. :)

Anonymous said...

You always talk about the good times you have with your family.I didn't see any mention of going to your parent's house. I'm sure if your plans fall through you would be more than welcome there. I know how much they love you and the kids. It probably won't be Thanksgiving at their house without your family. But I do understand about just staying home and being yourself. Anyway, I hope your meals works out great. Happy Thanksgving. P.S. I heard your Dad has a cute little pup. Is he Tank or Bandit?

Alison said...

I want to call him Tank Junior because his dad's name was Tank but I think they are stuck on Bandit.