Sunday, May 20, 2007

Change is Hard

I still don't know where I will be teaching next year. As of Friday, my principal said he thinks our projected enrollment is wrong and that we may be able to keep my job and the two other jobs that were displaced. On a bright note, Monroe will need a special ed. teacher and I have already taken one test to be certified for special ed, so I signed up to take the other one in June and hopefully I will pass it and be able to at the very least take the special ed position to stay at Monroe, but I have definitely decided that I will need to get out of SLPS next year. Although I do feel that the I am making a small difference in the lives of a few kids, there is just too much political nonsense to make it worthwhile. I want to teach, and this isn't teaching, this is providing a safe place for these kids to spend 8 hours a day before they have to go home to their awful lives. I feel sad that this is how it is but sometimes one person can only do so much!

1 comment:

akk said...

all i can say is: run, run far and fast! :) just kidding, some people are made for inner city teaching, and others, me!, are not. you just have to know what you're good at.