Saturday, February 10, 2007

A Miracle Occurred

Well, it's been one heck of a week. Kids have been suspended, 2 kids from my room moved, I got one new student and we have been trying to implement lunch detention in my room in effort to deter bad behavior. So you can imagine how hectic it has been. Then to top it all off, one of my 6th grade reading students cursed me out and threatened to, "beat my fat a*#". So as you can imagine I was this close to calling it quits, throwing in the towel and heading for unemployment. But then the miracle occurred.

We were having class meeting when one of my students, Terrance Tucker, who has been the bane of my existence for two years stands up and says, "You know guys we really need to stop jonesing on each other because we are a family and we have to go to school for the rest of the ear so we might as well get along!" Well,I about fell off my chair, tears welled up in my eyes and I said Terrance when did you grow up. It was the moment every teacher dreams of, when finally you have broken though. That moment of clarity!! We all clapped and cheered for him and I hope it is going to be the beginning of great things for him because then another student stood and said, I really want to thank Mrs. Nixon for looking out for us like she does. Again, the water works came to my eyes. But it truly was a great moment!


I hope you have some great moments this week as well.

2 comments:

akk said...

aaaahhhh! no!!!! flashback! so sorry to hear about the hard week. hopefully your breakthrough will last for a while. i'm just glad i'm home this year (and next) after last year's experience!

Alison said...

stay home as long as you can